- A card .…$2.49
- A stuffed animal ….$4.97
- A box of chocolates .…$10.99
- A dozen roses….$25.00
- A diamond pendant ….$450.00
- A healthy, nonviolent relationship ….Priceless
Too often, we succumb to the traditions of the holiday by racing frantically to the store to pick up a heart-shaped box filled with candy or an over-sized gorilla that sings “Wild Thing” in order to present it to our significant other over a romantic dinner at a local restaurant. This year, did you think outside that heart-shaped box? There is always time to give your significant other something that is more meaningful and lasting – a relationship based on equality. Try exercising these practices:
- Economic Partnership: Making money decisions together, ensuring that both partners benefit from financial agreements.
- Shared Responsibility: Mutually agreeing on a fair distribution of work, making family decisions together.
- Responsible Parenting: Sharing parental responsibilities, being a positive nonviolent role model for your children.
- Honesty & Accountability: Accepting responsibility for self, acknowledging use of violence, admitting being wrong, communicating openly and truthfully.
- Trust & Support: Supporting your partner’s goals in life, respecting one another’s rights to personal feelings, friends, activities, and opinions.
- Respect: Listening without judgment, being emotionally affirming, understanding, and valuing your partner’s opinions.
- Non-threatening Behavior: Talking and acting so that your partner feels safe.
- Negotiation & Fairness: Seeking mutually satisfying resolutions to conflicts, accepting change, and being willing to compromise.
You might already be doing these things in your own relationship; however, there is always room for improvement. An important aspect of having a healthy, nonviolent relationship is our willingness and commitment to live by these practices on a daily basis. In this way, we can consistently give the gift of equality and celebrate our love for our partner beyond February 14th, which is truly a priceless gift that will keep on giving.